I enlisted my video game loving husband to compile a list of video game gifts for the gamers in your life. Happy gift giving!
When you’re not a video gamer yourself, it can be tough to know what to give an avid gamer. All the games and brands and lingo are enough to make anyone’s head spin! I totally understand the feeling and struggle every year to come up with video game gifts for my husband. That’s why I asked him to put together this gift guide for us with some of this year’s hottest video game gifts.
Not only is my husband a regular video gamer but we also owned a video game store until recently. David is a pro at recommending video game gifts and he has some great ideas to share today. These are all games and consoles he has personally played for hours on end or that are currently on his wish list. There are great video game gifts on this list for kids, boyfriends, husbands and any gamer on your list.
I’ll let him take it from here!
This year, I’m sharing 12 weeks of gift guides! I’m searching the web for some of the best gift ideas for each theme with the goal of sharing great ideas and saving you time. Check back in every week for even more gift inspiration!
This post contains affiliate links. See my full disclosure here.
David here, with a quick and dirty guide to great gifts for video game players in your life!
- Nintendo SNES Classic (console) – The thing I’ve been waiting for! This retro mini console will take your gamer back to the good ol’ days. There are 21 games pre-installed (all fantastic choices, like Zelda, Super Mario Bros, and many other classics). Anyone who fondly remembers playing the original SNES from 27 years ago would be thrilled to receive this new console.
- Nintendo Switch (console) – This console debuted this year and is a really cool gift for anyone who travels or enjoys classic gaming. This system’s compact size makes it a perfect gift for anyone who is always on the go. There are Switch games great for all ages and more are being released each month.
- Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (Nintendo Switch game) – This game is the reason most people bought a Nintendo Switch. It is a massive open world game full of exciting bad guys, excellent graphics, difficult puzzles and immersive story. It is on nearly every list of top video games of all time. This is a must-have for any Switch owner.
- Super Mario Odyssey (Nintendo Switch) – This game is tons of fun! I managed to play it for a few hours while Emily was asleep in the delivery room and I really liked it. It feels a lot like Super Mario 64 and is a great choice for anyone of any age.
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PlayStation 4) – Holy wow. This beautiful game is humongous. There are so many places to go, things to do. It has a fantastic setting that I really love – futuristic robot dinosaurs, but people are semi-nomadic barbarians. Exploration and challenging fights are everywhere, and the story is top notch.
- Nioh (PlayStation 4) – If your gamer loves a challenge, Nioh can provide. Similar in style to Dark Souls, this game focuses more on the story, but provides the same level of challenge in fights. The setting and graphics are top-notch as is the difficulty. Not for the easily frustrated.
- Persona 5 (PlayStation 4) – This one focuses on tying you into the story by developing friendships with other characters, which is how you get more powerful. You need to get more powerful in order to defeat the evil bad guys. This is an excellent choice for anyone who loves story and gameplay and may or may not be totally into anime/manga.
- NieR: Automata (PlayStation 4) – This game is hailed as ‘masterful’ and ‘beautiful’. Phenomenal storytelling and graphics blend beautifully. Possibly the best game on the PS4 to date.
- Cuphead (Xbox One) – I was super excited to see a classic style run and gun shooter that had such a unique visual style. This game is at the top of most retro gamers’ lists despite coming out just this year.
- Resident Evil 7 Biohazard (Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4) – I’m not usually one to play anything scary, but I’ve heard really positive things about this horror game. Think super creepy zombies and monsters, very thematic/intense suspense, lots of scary stuff. If you’re into that sort of thing, this is a good gift.
- Mass Effect Andromeda (Xbox One, PC, PlayStation 4) – This most recent game in the Mass Effect series and well worth a play (especially since it’s less than $20, what a steal!).
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds (Xbox One, PC) – This is one of the highest selling games on PC & Xbox One right now, and I’ve personally logged more than 100 hours playing it. Most of my friends have hundreds of more hours than I do!
I hope this list gave you some good ideas for video game gifts this year! ~ David
More Gift Guides You’ll Love
Check out these guides to discover gift ideas for everyone on your list!
Gift ideas for the…
- Organizing Obsessed
- Adult Board Gamer
- New Homeowner
- Silhouette Crafter
- Home Entertainer
- Dog Lover
- Home Decor Lover
- Planners, Journalers And Paper Lovers
- Coloring Book Enthusiast
Happy gift giving!
4 Ways In 4 Days To Get Organized For The Holidays
Sign up for this FREE 4-day email challenge to get a jumpstart on holiday preparations. The holidays won't sneak up on you this year!